Before beginning installation, please be sure to have a host system with the following resources available:
- A system with the ability to run a VM image and at least 8 GB of assigned memory.
- At least 30 GB of free disk space to accommodate the base VM image. If you choose to increase the VM disk size ensure the extra space is available on the VM host system.
- At least one IP address for the Appliance. By default, the VM Appliance will obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, if one is available. Otherwise, a fixed address, netmask, and optional gateway may be assigned during the installation process. If there is a DHCP server available, but a static IP address is to be assigned, this may be set during the configuration process.
Along with the IP address, the following values must be configured for the Mageni VM Appliance to be network accessible:
- The network subnet mask for the Appliance.
- The IP address of the Default Gateway for the Appliance (if applicable).
- The IP addresses of the DNS servers for the Appliance (if applicable).
- A hostname for the Appliance.
- The local network must be configured to allow outbound HTTPS (port 443) access to the Internet, so the Appliance can download the updates and vulnerability database.
- The IP addresses for the hosts to be scanned must be accessible to the Appliance. The Appliance must be able to resolve external DNS for the hostnames to be scanned.
- If you have connected the LAN interface to a 802.1q trunked port and need your Scanner Appliance to use VLAN tags on the LAN default network, enter the VLAN tag number using the Appliance console.
DHCP or Static IP:
By default the Scanner Appliance is pre-configured with DHCP. If configured with a static IP address, be sure you have the IP address, netmask, default gateway, primary DNS and WINS server (if appropriate).